2008/06/20

So where is Estonia?

In winter 1993 when, being one of the lucky members of US State Department/USIS international guest team of politicians and few journalists from 34 states who were offered a chance to attend Bill Clinton inauguration, shake the hand of the new president and travel then around US for weeks, an Houston businessman who was sitting next to me at one of those inter-US flights asked me where I am from. I told him I am from Estonia. He then said, ok, you are from Estonia, but from which country. I said again I am from Estonia. He repeated his question. Then I realized he had never heard of state called Estonia and he had thought its some town or village somewhere in Europe. No wonder, accounting the population of Estonia is just 1.3 million and the noise these people make is a bit known in Europe but not so much at other continents. When I had my internship at Washington Times foreign news desk in autumn 1990, my colleagues there even doubted at first Estonians have their own language and they seemed to think its just some kind of weird Russian tribe - until they found Estonian-English dictionary at my table. Shortly - Estonia is a chilly country in North Europe but without icebergs yet even that in some winters it really feels so and there are even rules for school-kids that allow them to stay at home when the temperature is too freezing. If you know where the biggest Europe states are you can see where Estonia is clicking these words - new map of Europe.