2008/02/24

National anthem of Estonia and Finland sounds same








Estonians share the music of the national anthem with Fins with whom they also share a lot of other things - a close language, a common Finnish Bay between these two Baltic Sea states formed on the land their ancestors have lived for thousands of years. And even the birth date of their modern time independence is separated with just few months - December 6, 1917 - Finland and February 24, 1918 - Estonia.

But one of the biggest differences is that over the centuries Estonians have been much more mixed with other nationalities who have been eager to make make the land their own, starting with Danes in 13th century (who "robbed" our Tallinn flag - the red with white cross on it - and made it their state flag called Dannebrog), plus the Swedes, Germans and the ones from the East who have tried to be masters in Estonia over the centuries.
A lot of what I became I owe to my grandmother Elfriede, mum of my dad. My other grandparents were like her sweet and warm persons too but they left too soon. My grandmum E. used to insist when I was child to always remember I am a Swede, not Estonian but I never felt it like that. But the identity of being a mix-up of many nations - like some of my ancestors - and inhabitant of Tallinn with its great historic background has already since childhood made me to feel sometimes more cosmopolitan and a tallinner instead of being linked to one nationality. But then, on some occasions like the unic national song festivals hold every fifth year I feel it 101% when - whether I wish it or not - the tears appear in eyes always when the choir and crowd of thousands sings the most sweets national songs that warned our hearts also during the years when for many the hope seemed to have left behind.

ESTONIAN NATIONAL ANTHEM
Music: F. Pacius
Lyrics: J.V. Jannsen
Translation into English: Jenny Wahl

My native land, my joy, delight,
How fair thou art and bright!
And nowhere in the world all round
Can ever such a place be found
So well beloved as I love thee,
My native country dear!

My little cradle stood on thy soil,
Whose blessings case my toil.
With my last breath my thanks to thee,
For true to death I'll ever be,
O worthy, most beloved and fine,
Thou, dearest country mine!

May God in Heaven thee defend,
My best, my dearest land!
May He be guard, may He be shield,
For ever may He bless and wield
O graciously all deeds of thine,
Thou dearest country mine!

No comments: